We are the next generation of philanthropists who are passionate about Baycrest. We care deeply about the older adults in our lives as well as advancements in brain health and aging, and we support Baycrest’s fight to defeat dementia. We aim to increase community awareness about Baycrest and empower our members to make an impact in furthering Baycrest’s mission.
Sign up to stay in the know
Current events and opportunities
Next event info coming soon
What is Baycrest?
Baycrest is a global leader in residential living for older adults, healthcare, research, innovation and education, with a focus on brain health and aging. The campus is home to a robust research and innovation network, including the Rotman Research Institute, one of the world’s top research institutes in cognitive neuroscience; the scientific headquarters of the Canadian Consortium on Neurodegeneration in Aging, Canada’s largest national dementia research initiative; and the Baycrest-powered Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation, a solution accelerator focused on driving innovation in the aging and brain health sector. Fully affiliated with the University of Toronto, Baycrest provides excellent care for older adults combined with an extensive clinical training program for the next generation of healthcare professionals. Through these initiatives, Baycrest has remained at the forefront of the fight to defeat dementia as our organization works to create a world where every older adult enjoys a life of purpose, inspiration and fulfilment.
Where your donation goes
Donations and funds raised through BYP support Baycrest and its sector-leading work in research and innovation related to brain health and aging, Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
- Studies how people learn, think, remember and communicate as they age
- Sheds light on how these functions can break down due to brain disorders like dementia and stroke
- Finds new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat these conditions
- Seeks to improve quality of life for the aging population
- Enables older adults to age safely in the setting of their choice (for example, Baycrest@Home)
- Develops tools for cognitive, emotional and physical well-being -
Learn more about the impact of your gift to Research & Innovation at Baycrest.
Your dollars at work
||Rotman Research Institute
||Baycrest Innovation Office & Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation
- 3 scans using electroencephalogram (EEG)
- 8 scans with our eye tracker
- 1 scan through our MRI for pilot study
- 2 scans through our MEG (Magnetoencephalography) for pilot study
- Pet companion robots for 3 residents
- Tech training for 1 year
- Tech support for 1 year
- MRI scan – overhead costs included
- Shared printer for each research floor
- VPN software for remote work
- Tech training and support for one year of LEAP activities (new Lived Experience Advisory Panel)
- Sponsor a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow to attend annual conference (e.g. CNS)
- Senior-friendly tablet and Internet access
- Support Research Ethics Board
- Research test room workstation
- Cortech solutions for EEG studies
- Help develop an innovative idea by a healthcare worker
- Co-op or summer student stipend
- Additional server space
- Wireless panic alarm system for Floors 3 and 5 test rooms
- ‘Smart Suite’ components for a resident (plus tech support)
- Sponsorship in building an innovation lab
- Scaling a Baycrest-led innovation
Donate to become a Baycrest Young Philanthropy member
Through BYP, you can give back to your community and meet others who want to make a difference in the world of aging and brain health. With a minimum one-time gift of $180 or a $15 monthly commitment, you will be part of the BYP community and gain access to a pool of opportunities.
|Ways to Participate
- Attend Baycrest programs including Leadership events with doctors, researchers and innovators and have a front-row seat!
- Exclusive access – Insider updates on cutting-edge research and innovation
- Invitations to special donor events with Baycrest experts
- A Walk for the Ages – registration fee waived for BYP Donors
- Bike for Brain Health bike ride – registration fee waived for BYP Donors
- Scotiabank ProAm for Alzheimer’s hockey tournament – registration fee waived for BYP Donors
Beyond all else, be proud to know you are making an impact in the world of brain health and aging – for our parents and grandparents today, and for ourselves and our children tomorrow.
Meet the Baycrest Young Philanthropy Committee
BYP Chair: Talia Feder
BYP Committee: Michala Abramovitch, Ben Goodis, Brandon Greenspoon, Shaista Kitabi, Maddi Levinson, Yoni Silberman, Natalie Slavat Greenspoon, Jacqueline Smolyar, Del Soltani, Nikhil Thatte, Elana Tolensky, Noah Wallach
Brain Talks Recordings
Think aging is a "future me" problem? Think again. – July 21, 2021
A conversation with Dr. Allison Sekuler, health researcher, and Abbey Sharp, Registered Dietician, about how to keep your brain healthy and sharp.
Supporting you in Caring for Aging Relatives– April 7, 2022
Learn how to navigate changing family dynamics with the complexities of aging.
Participate in one of Baycrest’s signature events:
A Walk for the Ages Scotiabank Pro-Am Bike for Brain Health Create a Mini Brain
Evening of Culture & Arts
On November 20, 2019 we experienced the launch of the FRESH art exhibit, which featured the work of emerging artists in The Ronald & Nancy Kalifer Culture Hub at Baycrest. It was a celebration filled with art, music and dance that raised funds and awareness for arts programming that our community values immensely.
Leading up to the evening, BYP committee members joined Baycrest clients in the Donald and Elaine Rafelman Creative Arts Studio at Baycrest and made tie-dye silk scarves together.
Baycrest Wellness Break
On November 12, 2019, Baycrest Young Philanthropists (BYP) hosted 45 young professionals at Cassels for the inaugural Baycrest Wellness Break lunch session. The event featured founder and CEO of iQ Food Co., Alan Bekerman, in conversation with technology entrepreneur Noah Godfrey, and explored Alan's career pivots, stumbles and successes. The Wellness Break was a collaboration with Baycrest’s Professional Advisory Committee, which aims to educate financial, legal and accounting professionals for the purpose of offering advice to their aging clients and their families.
For more information about waived registration fees for BYP donors of $180 or more, please contact Jessica Taylor, email@example.com or 416-785-2500, ext. 3769
Ready to join or want to learn more? Contact Jessica Taylor, Manager, Leadership Development at firstname.lastname@example.org