Welcome to the Baycrest Buddies Program!
This is an incredible opportunity to develop a long-term relationship with a Baycrest resident or client in a fun and meaningful way.
This program will allow you to connect virtually with older adults in our community to get to know one another, provide companionship, offer cognitive stimulation, and share an emotional connection.
Together with you, we will develop discussion topics, activities, themes and even fun fundraising challenges in order to add additional dimensions to your relationships. We encourage you to bring your own creativity and interests into the process to make this experience as fun and rewarding as possible.
This is a fantastic way to build meaningful connections both with your Baycrest Buddy and with fellow volunteers in the program, all while developing new skills and gaining community service hours. We look forward to taking the next steps with you!
- Submit Online Application
- Attend Virtual Orientation Session
- Submit Reference Form and other supporting documents
- Complete Online Training Modules
- Complete Interview
The comprehensive onboarding process is designed to ensure a suitable match can be made with a Baycrest resident or client and to give you the tools to make a meaningful connection. We ask that all program participants make a commitment to volunteer with Baycrest for a minimum of 6 months, until June 2022, with the option to continue beyond that.
Click here for more detailS on the application process
- Introductory call with volunteer supervisor to learn more about your buddy and facilitate scheduling of the first call
- Introductory call with your Baycrest Buddy – to get to know them and begin the relationship
- Check in conversation with volunteer supervisor
- Weekly contact with your Baycrest Buddy at a mutually agreed upon day and time; these will typically be by phone, but you are welcome to explore video calling options if your buddy is interested and has access to a device
- Zoom meetups with your peer volunteer group (approximately monthly) – an opportunity to touch base about your experience and strategize about new program ideas
- As-needed conversations with your volunteer supervisor – the staff team is always available to offer support
At this time, all communication and programs will be virtual. However, as restrictions change, we hope for you to have the ability to meet in person and get involved with on-site Baycrest activities.
To borrow a life philosophy from our friends at Camp Manitou: “Double-blessed is the generation in which the young listen to the old.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY
For questions or to speak further about the Baycrest Buddies experience, please contact Jessica Taylor at email@example.com
or 416-785-2500 ext. 3769.